Card: Pro Set 1992
Acquired: TTM 2021, C/o Home
Sent: 8/4 Received: 8/23 (19 days)
- Played QB at USC seeing backup duty in 1967-68 throwing for 108 yards and a TD.
- Selected by the St Louis Cardinals in the 8th round of the 1969 NFL Draft and later saw time in the camp of the New York Jets.
- Went into coaching in 1971, reaching the college ranks in 1981 at San Fransisco State as a QB coach and OC.
- Quickly moved to BYU in 1982 as QB Coach tutoring Steve Young.
- Worked with the 49ers from 1986-89 under Bill Walsh, as a QB Coach and later as an OC, tutoring both Joe Montana and Steve Young.
- Won two Super Bowls during that period in ’89 and ’91.
- Offense was ranked #1 in 1989 and the ’91 team’s 55-10 shellacking of the Broncos in Super Bowl XXIV remains the highest points scored by one team.
- Joined the Packers in 1992, rebuilding storied franchise into perennial powerhouse, molding future HOFer Brett Favre.
- Appeared in two Super Bowls, winning Super Bowl XXXI over the New England Patriots.
- Signed on as head coach and GM of the Seahawks in 1998 coaching Matt Hasselbeck, making an additional Super Bowl appearance (XL).
- Resigned after the 2008 season.
- Spent 2009 to 2012 as GM of the Cleveland Browns.
- Seahawks Ring of Honor 2021
- Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame
- WA Sports Hall of Fame
Mike Holmgren didn’t sign for a while, even skipping out on signing this rookie card from what I understand, even when he did sign. He started back up again, and I couldn’t help but ask him to toss in a play as well. I was very happy to get him on both of these items.
He’s been denied the HOF for some reason a few times. I think he’s due to be inducted with a solid resume, and an incredibly heavy coaching tree branching off of him that includes a lot of current names such as Andy Reid.