CARD: Action Packed 1990
ACQUIRED: Trade, 2020
- Finished college career in 1989 as the USC Trojans all-time leading passer completing 630/1081 passes for 8225 yards and 54 TDs.
- Selected in the 6th round of the 1989 NFL draft by the Detroit Lions.
- Won the starter job outright in camp, but was injured before the first game.
- Nevertheless started 8 games that season, winning 3 games, while throwing for 1479 yards and 5 TDs.
- Early in career, added an extra wrinkle to the Silver Stretch Offense keeping drives alive rushing for 4 TDs in 89, and 6 TDs (363 yards) in 1990.
- Injuries and constant QB battles punctuated career with the Lions.
- In 1991, posted career best 6-2 starting record.
- Played with Lions through 1993, winning only start for Cowboys in 1994.
- Signed with Philadelphia Eagles in 1995.
- Thrust into starting lineup for Randall Cunningham, and led team to 9 wins and a playoff berth.
- Journeyman phase of career arguably began in 1999 after signing for the Washington Redskins for one season.
- Saw action sparingly, and then joined the Raiders in 2000, also seeing little playing time over two seasons.
- Signed with Panthers in 2002, experiencing the best season of career, throwing for career highs in attempts (381), completions (223), yards (2630), and TDs (15).
- Retired after the 2004 season and has done a lot of TV and sports commentary work.
Rodney is not a TTM signer, so when my friend offered to trade me Rodney and Mel Gray for a Jamaal Charles autograph consignment, I jumped at the chance. Hopefully I’ll get another shot at him on a few more set needs in the future.