CARDS: GameDay 1992, Skybox Impact 1992, Skybox Preimum 1993, Skybox Impact 1992 Major Impact
ACQUIRED: TTM 2021, C/o Work
SENT: 6/19 RECEIVED: 7/13 (24 Days)
FAILURE: TTM 2010, C/o Work, TTM 2015, C/o Home
- 3rd round pick out of Georgia Tech in 1986 joined ‘The Dome Patrol’ alongside Sam Mills, Vaughan Johnson, and Rickey Jackson at linebacker.
- After quiet rookie season, became fulltime starter and put up 10.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and a pick.
- In 1989, recorded 16.5 sacks and 5 forced fumbles.
- In 1991, led NFL with 17 sacks, 6 forced fumbles, and an interception for a TD.
- Traded to the Detroit Lions in 1993 and played the following season with the franchise before hopping over to Oakland in 1995.
- Moved to right defensive end that year, and had 13 sacks and 5 forced fumbles.
- Retired in 1997, but returned for the 1998 season for the Raiders before retiring again after the season.
- Pro Bowl 1989-93
- All-Pro 1991/92
- NFL sack leader 1991
- NFL Defensive Player of the Year 1991
- Saints Hall of Fame 2000
- College Football Hall of Fame 2009
While the records show I failed on Pat early on in my return to collecting in 2010, and then later in 2015, before I got him in 2021- 11 years later, in reality I had failed to get Swilling in person back in 1995 when he played for the Raiders. Oakland was visiting Dallas Cowboys training camp at St. Edwards in Austin, Texas. I had previous success with acquiring James Lofton by sticking out a sign that said “WILL WORK FOR JAMES LOFTON’S AUTOGRAPH”. Unfortunately said strategy did not work for Pat, and although the players found it very funny and chuckled, they let me know that he was skipping camp in Austin rehabbing due to an injury.
For a while there too, Pat had a ghost signer, and his autograph went from looking like what’s above… to something very pedestrian. I flushed numerous cards down the toilet with no luck, but reloading for a final shot, and seeing some successes that looked good, I went ahead and popped these out for 3rd shot.