CARDS: Donruss Rookies & Stars 2009, Score 2009, Panini Prestige 2009, Score 2010
ACQUIRED: TTM 2020, C/o Work
SENT: 10/17 RECEIVED: 11/2 (16 days)
- Played RB for the UCF Knights from 2004-07.
- After redshirt season, ran for 4,679 yards over next 3 years.
- Senior year ran for a school record 2,567 yards and 29 TDs, along with 242 yards on 24 catches.
- His 450 carries in his Senior year shattered the previous single season college mark held by Marcus Allen, and his 2,567 yards rushing were third all-time.
- Selected at the top of the 3rd round of the 2008 NFL Draft by the Detroit Lions.
- Had solid debut rookie season with Detroit rushing for 976 yards and 8 rushing TDs in 12 starts- 1,200 yards from scrimmage.
- Ran for 747 yards on 217 carries in 2009, logging a career high 41 receptions for 415 yards in 2009.
- Tore ACL near end of season, after 13 starts.
- Injury sidelined Smith through early 2010, but the Lions had already moved on to Jahvid Best.
- Lions allowed Smith to test free agency in 2011, but when Best was sidelined with second concussion of season, they resigned Kevin.
- Smith returned to form with a 140 yard, 2 TD effort, in comeback victory over the Carolina Panthers.
- Suffered ankle injury the following week and was not retained at end of season.
- Joined the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL in 2014, but was released after a few days.
- Has climbed the college coaching ranks ever since, starting at his Alma Mater UCF in 2015.
- Then it was Florida Atlantic in 2018, and Ole Miss, where I got his autograph in 2020.
- As of 2023 Kevin is the RB coach at the University of Miami, FL.
Kevin has a lot of great cards, and hit all my favorite sets from this period. His Score and Donruss cards really hit the mark for me. Kevin’s one of those players where if he didn’t see all that wear and tear on his body I think he would’ve gone on to have a fabulous NFL career- but such is the pro life.