CARD: Fleer 1990, Photo Memorabilia
ACQUIRED: TTM 2022, C/o Home
- Two time SWC selection at defensive tackle playing for SMU from 1978-81.
- Selected in the 7th round of the 1982 NFL Draft by the Philadelphia Eagles.
- Played the 82 and 83 seasons for the Eagles totaling 5.5 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries, and 34 tackles.
- After a season off in 84, found a home with the Indianapolis Colts.
- Played for the Colts from 84-90, posting 6.5 sacks, a pick, and 7 fumble recoveries, seeing time at both DT and NT.
- SMU Athletics HoF 2014
Wow. Harvey Armstrong is just that guy you have to love. I mean here’s a guy who thought he was going to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick, and then was actually a 7th instead! He was upset and even considered going to the CFL but decided to stick it out with the Eagles, and it was a whirlwind ride for him. He did what we should all do and listen to veterans for advice and follow in their path. Harvey was able to carve out a nice career for himself over the years, and although the Super Bowl titles didn’t come to him, he saw accolades from SMU and a Fleer 1990 card- his only card ever produced at the end of his career.
He wrote a lot of inscriptions all over the envelope and enclosed the photo memorabilia as well. It can not be understated how important Harvey was to the SMU program on defense, giving them some football respect at the dawning of the 80s.