CARDS: ProSet 1989, ProSet 1989 Update, Score 1989
ACQUIRED: TTM 2022, C/o Home
SENT: 5/2 RECEIVED: 5/21 (19 days)
FAILURE: TTM 2011, 2013; C/o Home
- 5th round selection out of Washington by the Dallas Cowboys.
- Groomed to be Danny White’s backup and heir.
- 3 year starter for the Huskies, threw for 4603 yards and 30 TDs.
- In ’86 saw extensive playing time, throwing for 2727 yards, 8 TDs, including an 84 yard TD to Herschel Walker.
- In 1988 finally became full-time starter, ranking in the top 7 in completions (245), TDs (17), and yards (3,139).
- Briefly held the franchise record with 14 straight completions.
- Dangerous scrambler finished second among NFC QBs with 51 carries for 314 yards.
- With the firing of longtime head coach Tom Landry, the franchise decided to move in another direction with Jimmy Johnson in 1989.
- The Cowboys traded Herschel Walker and drafted Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh.
- Pelluer in the meantime held out, and in mid-October was traded to the Chiefs for a couple of low round draft choices.
- Saw action in 5 contests, starting 3 in 1990, including a win over Seattle, when he threw for 205 yards and a TD.
- Sprained knee and was out remainder of year.
- As Steve DeBerg cemented his role as starter, Pelluer saw sparing playing time.
- Pelluer joined the Denver Broncos in 1992 via Plan B, but he would not make the roster.
- After a brief break, he’d play in the CFLUSA for the Blue Bombers in 1995, completing 9 of 17 passes for 112 yards and a TD, but was lost to injury after injury for the season in Week 2.
- Pelluer signed on with the reborn World League in 1995, playing for the Frankfurt Galaxy and helping the team reach the World Bowl for the first time.
- Retired after the 1996 campaign, playing mainly as a backup.
- Since retirement has spent time in real estate with a specialization in commercial properties.
I always felt like Steve got a bad rap in Dallas, but he did also hold out at a critical time when the Cowboys were rebuilding. Then he got shipped to KC only to get stuck behind DeBerg. I had wanted to get Steve for a while- failing on him twice previously. -I even had his Starting Lineup figure!