CARD: Wild Card World League 1992
ACQUIRED: EBay, 2023
FAILURE: TTM 2010, 2011, 2020, C/o The Chiefs
- Willie Davis caught 63 passes for 1292 yards over his college career for Central Arkansas.
- He holds the school all-time record for longest reception with a 99 yard TD.
- He’d go undrafted in 1990, but be signed to the Chiefs practice squad.
- Willie was allocated to the Orlando Thunder of the World League in 1992 by the team to give the young receiver more seasoning.
- With future NFL veteran Scott Mitchell at QB, Davis caught 20 passes and a 51 yard TD in his first professional action.
- The Chiefs, impressed by what they saw opted to give Willie some playtime in their offense.
- Willie became one of the World League’s success stories, catching 36 passes for 756 yards later that year.
- His best season perhaps came the following year when he caught 52 passes for 909 yards and 7 TDs.
- He played for the Chiefs through 1995.
- With Houston Oilers WR Haywood Jeffires demanding more money to stay with the team, the franchise opted to go in another direction and signed Willie Davis to essentially replace him.
- Willie played with the Oilers from 1996-98, transitioning with the franchise to Tennessee in 1997.
- Willie returned to the Chiefs after a few years away from the sport and joined the team’s front office, where he serves as the team’s front office scout of the southwest.
- Central Arkansas Hall of Fame (2001)
I finally gave up on trying to get Willie through the mail after 3 attempts through the Chiefs over the last 12 years. He signed sporadically for others and just didn’t respond to me. Whether or not it was an intentional snub or not or just the fact he may not want to sign his true rookie card, I am not sure. -So I just decided to haggle with an EBay seller who had some World League autographs that looked legitimate enough to me to close the deal.