CARDS: Wild Card World League 1992, Ultimate WL 1992
ACQUIRED: TTM 2022, C/o Home
SENT: 7/29 RECEIVED: 8/12 (14 days)
FAILURE: TTM 2015, C/o Work
- Emanuel King played college football at the University of Alabama from 1981-84.
- A tweener ahead of his time, Emanuel could play DE or OLB, garnering 53 tackles and 5 sacks in his senior season for the Crimson Tide.
- A first round pick of the Cincinnati Bengals in ’85, and also a first round pick of the Birmingham Stallions of the rival USFL.
- He opted to play for the Bengals, and in ’86 led the team with 9 sacks.
- In 1987, King started 12 games and had 4 sacks.
- Shortly before the 1988 season, he was suspended and replaced in the lineup by Leon White.
- In 1989, King signed with the Raiders, dressing for 3 contests.
- After some time away from the sport, Emanuel resurfaced with the World League in 1992, playing right defensive end for the Montreal Machine.
- On the season he’d rack up 4.5 sacks in the Machine’s 3-4 alignment.
- With the WL going on hiatus after the 92 season, King joined the Sacramento Gold Miners of the CFLUSA invasion.
- He’d finish his career with Sacramento, playing in 5 contests, posting 4 tackles and 2 sacks.
- Returned to Alabama and went into high school coaching.
I had lucked out on Emanuel back in 2015, but I swear I had tried more than one time. I guess it was good that I waited because not only did I need him on his Wild Card and Ultimate card- he appears on the back of the Montreal Machine’s team card for the Ultimate set as well. (They used the photo from the back of his Ultimate 1992 base card for the team stats card.) I didn’t see it until right before I sent it out. I didn’t mind that he signed the back of that card, but when I also got his Wild Card back signed on the back I just… ugh. Oh well! Nice to get him though!