CARDS: ProSet 1989, Fleer 1990, Action Packed All Madden Team 1990
ACQUIRED: TTM 2021, C/o Home
SENT: 11/29 RECEIVED: 12/10 (11 days)
- Comes from football blood lines as older brother, Pete, played center for New England, Willie was selected by the Chiefs, and Ray played at LSU.
- First team All Big 8 tackle and team captain while playing at Colorado as Senior.
- Saints first round pick in 1980. (#12 overall.)
- Started 67 contests straight out of his rookie season before a knee injury in Week 14 of 1984 ended that streak.
- Returned to form and started all games until Week 7 of 1988 with another knee injury landing on IR.
- Rebounded from injury and was named to the All-Madden Team.
- Started 64 more straight games for the Saints, and cemented himself as the franchise’s leader in games played and started. (186/182)
- Joined the San Diego Chargers in 1993, seeing action in 48 more contests- starting 41, retiring after the 1995 season.
- Upper echelon, equally skilled, run and pass blocker, who never seemed to get his due.
- Went into coaching in 1997, working with the Portland Forest Dragons (1997-99) and LA Avengers (2000-01) of the Arena Football League.
- Coached offensive line at Army from 2004-06.
- Named head coach in 2007, compiling a 6-18 record.
- Has also worked as a sports anchor for local TV affiliates in OR.
Stan has some great cards, and was represented on most of the major brands. I remember specifically pulling the Action Packed All Madden card from 7-11 after school one day and being blown away by its strong composition.