CARDS: Action Packed Whizzer White Award 1991, Topps 1969
ACQUIRED: TTM 2022, C/o Home
SENT: 9/26 RECEIVED: 11/23 (58 days)
FAILURE: TTM 2019, C/o Home
- Kermit Alexander played runningback for UCLA from 1960-62.
- Posted 708 yards on 128 carries (6 TDs), and caught 32 passes for 508 yards and 2 TDs over college career.
- Opting to play for SF over Denver in 1963, the 49ers would utilize Kermit as a return man and DB.
- Over 7 seasons in SF, Kermit had 5+ interceptions 5 times, lead the NFL in fumble recoveries twice (5 in ’64 and 8 in ’65) playing all DB positions.
- In 1965, he led the NFL in returns (35) and return yardage (741).
- At the turn of 1970, Alexander was traded to the LA Rams.
- He’d only play two seasons for the franchise, but not before he added 7 more interceptions to his resume, including an 82 yard TD.
- Retired after the 1973 season with the Philadelphia Eagles.
- Pro Bowl 1968
- Byron Whizzer White Award 1972
I had coveted Kermit on this Action Packed card of his for sometime. After writing him back in 2019 I was surprised to get these cards back unsigned as he had a very good signing track record. I suppose that he may have taken offense to something I wrote in my letter, as I was unaware of his family tragedy.
Later a friend of mine got him through the mail and told me that in his response a family member stated that Kermit was struggling with his memory, so I figured now was as good as any time as any.