CARD: 1991 All World Canadian Football
ACQUIRED: TTM 2021, C/O Home
SENT: 7/6 RECEIVED: 9/3 (59 days)
- Played for Penn State from 1984 to 1987.
- Originally started career as a TE, but later in 1985 switched to LB where he earned a starting role.
- As a solid cover LB, intercepted 4 passes for 94 yards over college career.
- Recorded a sack and 2 picks in 1987 Fiesta Bowl.
- Was not selected in 1988 NFL Draft, but signed with the local Pittsburgh Steelers.
- Selected by the Saskatchewan Roughriders with the 6th overall pick of the 1988 CFL draft.
- After refusing to report was subsequently traded to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
- Played 8 seasons in Hamilton, recording a career high 77 tackles, and 3 sacks in 1990.
- In 1991, posted 63 tackles, 6 tackles for loss, 1 sack, and 3 interceptions for 28 yards.
- Lost starting job in 1992, and saw time on the offensive line as well.
- Was well known as a leading special teams player, and concluded his career after the 1995 season.
Thanks in part to his unique Greek last name, Pete was very easy to find. It should be observed that in the past, he rarely responded through the mail from what I could tell- perhaps because of the misspelling of his name on this card, which spells his last name ‘Giftopoulus’ as opposed the correct spelling of ‘Giftopoulos’.