CARD: Classic 1993
ACQUIRED: TTM 2022, C/o Home
SENT: 6/13 RECEIVED: 6/27 (14 days)
- Finished second all-time in total all purpose yards (3,834) and rushing (3232) in Georgia history, behind only Herschel Walker.
- Set SEC records for points, TDs, rushing TDs, and per carry average.
- Cardinals traded Johnny Johnson and their first round pick to the Jets, moving up to select Hearst with the 3rd overall pick of the 1993 NFL Draft.
- Ran for 257 yards and a TD, but a knee injury sidelined him for a majority of the season.
- Had a 57 yard carry- the longest by a Cardinal since Stump Mitchell in 1985.
- Another knee injury marred Hearst’s season early in 1994, as he finished strong rushing for 169 yards over the final 4 contests.
- Topped the 100 yard barrier for first time in career in 1995, rushing for 121 yards against the Saints.
- Broke the 1k barrier that year rushing for 1070 yards, and catching 29 passes, the best by a Card since 1982.
- Released by the Cardinals and signed with Bengals in 1996.
- Played one season with Bengals, initially as a backup, but pounded the rock for 847 yards.
- Signed with 49ers in 1997 and rejuvenated SF’s rushing game.
- Ran for 1019 yards on 236 carries (4 TDs) in ’97.
- Had an even better ’98, running for a career high 1570 yards.
- In Week 1 against the New York Jets in OT, had one of the greatest runs in NFL history, rushing for a 96 yard TD.
- Broke his ankle during the 1998 playoffs- an injury that would keep him out of the league for two seasons.
- Amazingly returned to form again in 2001, despite facing a career threatening injury, rushing for over 1,200 yards.
- Played for the ‘9ers an additional two seasons, before playing a final year in 2004 with the Broncos.
- Doak Walker Award 1992
- Second Team AP 1998
- Pro Bowl 1998, ’01
- NFL Comeback Player of the Year 2001
- Florida-Georgia HoF
- College Football Hall of Fame 2023
During this time of my life I was still going to training camps, but I started ratcheting down my card purchases. Whether it was cost, an over saturated market, or just discovering girls- this card came from one of those last packs I bought before I went into a long hibernation. When I came back to the hobby and went through all those boxes this card immediately went into the ‘priority box’. And 12 years later from that, I finally got Garrison’s autograph. Strange how accomplished it feels.