Cards: ProSet 1989, Score 1989
Acquired: TTM 2021, C/o Home
Sent: 4/17 Received: 5/20 (33 days)*
Failure: TTM 2011, C/o Home
* donation enclosed
- Sammy Winder walked onto the Southern Mississippi football team and played for them from 1978-1981.
- In every year his rushing yardage increased from 340 in 1978 to 1029 in 1981.
- A powerback with a nose for the endzone, Winder rushed for a school record 20 TDs in 1980.
- Finished his career at So Miss with 736 carries for 3114 yards and 39 TDs.
- Selected in the 5th round of the 1982 draft by the Denver Broncos.
- Was major factor in franchise’s return to greatness as the team appeared in 3 Super Bowls.
- Known for his TD dance called the ‘Mississippi Mudwalk’.
- Best year came in 1984 when Sammy ran 296 times for 1153 yards and 4 TDs, also catching 44 passes for 288 yards and 2 TDs.
- Had a career best 14 TDs in 1986 (9 rushing, 5 receiving).
- Led the AFC in Scoring in 1987 with 7 total TDs during a strike shortened season.
- Retired after the 1990 season.
- Led NCAA in TD rushes in 1980 (20)
- Pro Bowl selection 1984, 1986
- USM Team of the Century
- USM Athletic Hall of Fame
- Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame
I had written the Sidewinder way back in 2011, but at the time he was asking for a donation that I couldn’t afford, so 8 years later I gave him another shot with the money and he signed these two cards. I just figured he could’ve used a sharpie instead of a ball point pen.
Sammy as of 2021 has his own construction company in Mississippi that he started while he was still playing for the Broncos.