CARD: Pro Set 1991 World League Helmet Insert
ACQUIRED: TTM 2022, C/o The Pittsburgh Steelers
SENT: 1/22 RECEIVED: 4/11 (79 days)
- Teryl Austin played DB for at Pitt from 1984-87.
- Had outstanding 1985, notching 7 picks for 186 yards.
- Also used as return man, finishing with 96 punt returns for 640 yards.
- Going undrafted in 1988, he eventually joined the World League of American Football in 1991.
- Played for the Montreal Machine during inaugural season.
- Made the jump to coaching later that year, joining Penn State for 1991 and 1992.
- Over the 90s got more seasoning first as a DB coach at Wake Forest (1993-95) and then later as a Defensive Assistant at Syracuse (1996-98) and Michigan (1999-02).
- Saw first turn in pros with the Seahawks (2003-06) and then Cardinals (07-09) as a DB coach.
- After one year stint as DC at Florida (2010), worked for the Ravens as a Secondary Coach from 2011-13.
- Then took reins with Lions (2014-17) and Bengals (2018) as defensive coordinator.
- In 2019, joined Steelers as Senior Defensive Assistant and Secondary Coach, and in 2022 was promoted to defensive coordinator.
Another success story, Teryl has quietly made the puddle jump up the ranks of football coaching ranks after getting some seasoning in the World League.
Teryl came to my attention around 7 or 8 years ago, when he was considered for the head coaching position at the University of Texas. He actually played– so I wanted to get him on something. Since many players did not have cards who were in the World League, I thought this helmet card was the next best thing.