CARDS: Action Packed 1990, Score 1990, Pro Set 1990
ACQUIRED: TTM 2022, C/o Home
SENT: 5/18 RECEIVED: 5/27 (9 Days)
FAILURE: TTM C/o Home 2018, 2019
- Possessing gamebreaking speed and great hands, Dexter Carter played from 1987-90 for the Florida State Seminoles.
- Dexter rushed for 1839 yards and 17 TDs on 351 carries, splitting time for a majority of his career with Sammie Smith.
- Selected by the San Fransisco 49ers near the bottom of round one in the 1990 NFL Draft.
- Started at KR in rookie season, but was pressed into service early with injuries to Roger Craig.
- Rushed for 460 yards and caught 25 passes, finishing with 1460 yards from scrimmage.
- 124 yards rushing against Rams was highest total by a 49ers rookie since 1971.
- 74 yard TD run against Rams was longest TD run of season in the league.
- Saw similar role in 1991 in a platoon of runningbacks.
- Ran for 379 yards and 2 TDs on 85 carries and caught 23 passes for 253 yards.
- Had 37 kick returns for 839 yards, including a 98 yard TD to lead NFL.
- After an injury riddled 1992, became 49ers resident return specialist for punts as well.
- Had 34 returns for 411 yards and a TD in 1993.
- In 1994, returned 48 kicks for 1105 yards (23.0 yards per return) and a 96 yard TD.
- Signed with the Jets in 1995, but after only 10 games was cut, returning to ‘9ers to finish out season.
- Had career long 78 yard punt return for a TD that year with SF.
- Played one final year with 49ers in 1996 and retired.
- Spent a few seasons as a positional coach at his Alma mater FSU.
- San Fransisco 49ers 50th Anniversary Modern All-Time Team
After 2 failures, I finally was able to get Dexter Carter on his Action Packed card I wanted to have him sign all along. I had pretty much run out of cards, save for these last 3. His Score 1990 really stands out. It’s a beautiful, rare frontal shot of Dexter darting for daylight.
Dexter really didn’t get the credit he deserved as a returner outside of SF. One wonders that if he played 10-15 seasons like other accomplished returnmen if Dexter would’ve gotten the acclaim he deserved.
Dexter is notable as during his 1995 campaign between the Jets and the 49ers, he ended up playing in 17 games that year during a 16 game skid.